Thursday, May 13, 2010

Someone in Iraq loves me...


You are going to love this story and further understand the unexpected blessings that digital communication offers for our students and their parents.
I recently shared my new found love of blogging with our district Writing Advisory Team. Many heads were nodding around the room indicating to me that they had already discovered the powerful tool that blogging is for classrooms. Others were anxious to dabble over the summer and power up in the fall.
Mary, a second grade teacher, shared this beautiful and powerful story with me...I thought you might like it too.
This teacher told of a father, stationed in Iraq, who keeps up with his daughter and her class via the blog that Mary established to communicate the wonderful things she and her students are about during the course of the school year. One email from dad communicated his shock at seeing his daughter without her two front teeth! It had been 5 months since his last visit home. Just last week she posted her photos from a recent field trip. The cute little girl that you see here was wearing the shirt her father gave her while home for Christmas. When he visited the blog and saw her wearing it, this is what he replied to her teacher:
Thank you so much for the wonderful pictures from your class and from the field trip. I have to tell you, when I first saw the picture of my daughter in the yellow t-shirt...well, you can understand how I felt. My eyes were not dry for sometime after. It meant more to me than I can express.
Mary shares: Imagine, he is in Iraq fighting for us and thanks to the tool of the Internet and blogging, he can still feel close to his daughter.
I knew you all would love this one. And thank you, Mary, for sharing. I am sure that you have inspired many!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing... and that is the point, right? To communicate, react, respond, communicate, react, respond...

    I'm happy that your Writing Advisory Team is on board. Do they already use blogging as a tool in their classrooms? Heads nodding would indicate as much. Are they using Blogger? WordPress? Ever-annoying, inquiring minds want to know :)

    This wonderful story illustrates the possibilities available to teachers, if only they have the opportunity to learn and the inspiration/desire to implement 21st century technology. Great to "read you" this week!

    ReplyDelete